$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
What Is Ruining Your Workout
Great workouts can result in big pay offs, but frustration can kick in when you feel like you’re giving your all and not getting the results you want. If you feel like your workout is getting you nowhere fast, you may want to take a look at ways you may be ruining your workout.
First, exercise alone isn’t enough. It has to be part of an overall health plan that includes healthy eating. You have to learn how to eat for the kind of workout you’re doing, and it is important to know when to eat what. You’ll need different foods before and after your workout to get the best results. If you master this, you can get amazing results. If not, then you’ll never get as much out of your workout as you could.
Fuel up with complex carbs before you exercise for a steady release of energy throughout your workout. Toast with peanut butter and a banana is a great pre-workout snack. In general, pre-workout meals should be low fat, low fiber and moderate in carbs and protein. If you’re weightlifting or doing any type of significant strength training, be sure you’re getting enough protein to help your muscles recover and grow.
Remember to stay hydrated when working out. It doesn’t matter if you’re an experienced athlete or just getting started. It’s absolutely critical to get the right amount of water before, during and after you exercise to get the most out of your training. Water is what regulates your body temperature and transports nutrients. Without adequate water you may experience dizziness, muscle cramps and fatigue.
So how much water is enough? There is no one-size-fits all response. Factors include the intensity of the exercise, the outside temperature and how long your workout lasts. According to the American Council of Fitness, you should drink eight ounces 20 to 30 minutes prior to exercising, seven to ten ounces every 10-20 minutes during, and another eight ounces after your workout is complete. Some bottled waters also include electrolytes, making them a good choice if your workout lasts an hour or longer.
Keep in mind that it is important to allow your body to rest when working out. There is such thing as too much of a good thing. When it comes to exercise, you can overdo it. Exercise releases endorphins, making it easy to get “addicted” to working out. It can be tempting to not wait in between workouts and let yourself rest. In addition, some people feel guilty taking a day off, but your body needs time to rest between workouts.
Not resting enough in between workouts can ruin your next workout. You can actually make yourself weaker and may even damage your body. Rest periods help your body strengthen itself. Muscles need time to repair and rebuild. Your body needs time to replenish and store energy for the next work out. So next time you’re tempted to skip your rest day remember, you’re actually making yourself a better athlete by taking that day off to recover.
In addition, you may think doing a hundred sit-ups is a major accomplishment, but you won’t see results from just doing them occasionally. You also won’t get the results you want going hard at the gym once a week. Gaining cardiovascular fitness takes more than running once a week or taking a spin class every weekend. It is definitely better than nothing, but that doesn’t mean it’s always beneficial. In fact, being inconsistent can ruin your overall workout results.
Committing to a regular workout schedule might seem intimidating, but results come through steady effort. Set realistic expectations and commit to at least three days per week of your chosen exercise. If you don’t have time to hit the gym more than two to three times per week, save gym time for weights and strength training and get cardio on your other days through running or cycling. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
Furthermore, sleep is when your body does its best recovering. If you’re not getting adequate sleep, it can definitely impact the effectiveness of your workout routine. Most athletes get between seven and ten hours of sleep a night. Sleep is an important part of the recovery process because it’s the optimal time for your body to build muscle. When you don’t get enough sleep, you can’t fully recover from your last workout. Lack of sleep also makes it difficult to fight those cravings for unhealthy foods.
While it’s important to sleep enough, it’s also important to have quality sleep. Avoid intense, high adrenaline workouts before going to bed. Avoid drinking caffeine in the evenings or at night. Taking a warm bath or shower will also help you relax before bed. It’s also a good idea to limit excessive liquids before you sleep. Finally, a small power nap during the day can help you feel rested if you aren’t getting enough sleep at night.
Losing weight, looking and feeling better and simply being healthy are all big motivators. However, if you aren’t enjoying working out, then you will eventually grow weary and give it up. One skipped workout will turn into two, which will turn into a week. Before you know it you’ll be back to your old habits again. You can beat this game by learning how to have fun working out.
Think about how great you feel, mind and body, after a workout. Every time you want to skip a workout, remind yourself of that feeling. Change into our workout clothes anyway. Once you’re dressed it’s harder to let yourself skip. Also, find something you truly enjoy doing that gets your heartrate up. It may be a team or individual sport. If you hate running, try biking or roller skating. Join a group exercise class.
Keep looking until you find something you can have fun with. This doesn’t mean you have to ditch your traditional workouts, but if you’re having fun you’re likely to stay with it longer and get better results.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?