$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
Ah…to be young again! To struggle with insecurities, limitations, and existential despair like you once did when you had no clue what you were going to do with your life. On second thought, maybe being a young adult wasn’t as wonderful and romantic as you remember it.
They say that with age comes wisdom. Growing older doesn't mean you’ll become magically tuned in to the secrets of life. But very often it does mean gaining new insight on challenges and mysteries that led to conflicts in your younger years.
College Is About More than a Degree
Ask most twenty-somethings why they’re enrolled in college courses and they’ll tell you for the degree, to further their educations so that they can be successful in their chosen career. But time brings on new perspective and many thirty-somethings will tell a different story. Because they understand that college is about a lot more than the degree, or even the knowledge that that piece of paper you’re handed on graduation day stands for.
College is about opening your mind to perspectives vastly different from your own. It’s about meeting new people, many unlike the people you’ve grown up with and learning how to understand and appreciate diverse views. Universities are places where people from various cultural, economic, and religious backgrounds meet and exchange ideas. The experience of going away to college, of leaving home and striking out as an independent person, is an education in and of itself.
Parents are Right Sometimes
When you’re a new adult, freshly liberated from the rules and restrictions, it’s all too easy to shrug off advice from your parents. After all, you spent 18 years under their control, isn’t it your turn to call all of the shots? Striking out on your own and learning how to be independent is part of growing into adulthood. But if you shrug off every piece of advice your parents attempt to give, you just might find yourself one day wishing you hadn’t.
Not all parents give great advice. Some don’t give advice at all. But what you won't admit to yourself as readily when you’re in your twenties is that your parents actually know what they’re talking about. Your parents can see into the future. Not literally, but in the sense that theirs is often a perspective based on experience. Once you begin to age you may realize that all those bits of advice your parents doled out are things you’ll want to tell your own kids. Like this next one…
Saving Money Now Really is Important
How many of us reached our 30s without saving a dime for retirement? And this despite all of the advice floating around that when it comes to saving, the earlier the better. For some, financial hardship means that saving money just wasn’t an option. But for many thirty-somethings it was an option. The temptation to spend our cash on other things just won out. When you’re twenty, retirement isn’t looming on the horizon. It’s easy to justify spending your money on more immediate concerns.
Many thirty and forty-somethings will tell you that if they could correct one mistake in how they handled their finances during their twenties this would be the one. Saving and investing early means you can invest less and still make more than someone who starts older and saves more over a longer period of time. It’s an all too common mistake to think putting off saving and investing until you have more money is the way to go. In reality, it’s better to save more money early on and less later on, than to do the opposite.
Your Glory Days are Still Ahead
When you hit your 30s you gain insight into one of the best-kept secrets in the world: your 30s aren’t lame at all. In fact, they can be some of the best years of your life. You figure out that everyone who told you you’d always look back on your teens and twenties as the best years of your life was wrong. You learn that as you age, you grow and that your experiences make you a well-rounded person.
If your twenties are all about finding yourself, getting your education, gaining your independence, and/or breaking into your chosen field, your thirties are all about reaping the fruits of that labor. You may find yourself busier than you’ve ever been before with your job, numerous responsibilities, likely a marriage, and possibly children. But more than likely you won’t find yourself pining away for your younger years. Instead you’ll realize you’ve never been more yourself, and never more content.
You Do Get Over Your First Love
It’s common to romanticize the past. And as the years go by its easy to forget all of those things you didn’t like about someone and remember only the good. So it’s no wonder so many people say, and with sincerity, that you never get over your first love. For those still pining for their sweethearts of yesterday, some good news awaits you later in life.
As you grow and mature you realize that the magic, the pure abandon you experienced that first time you fell in love, won't actually haunt you for eternity. Of course there are exceptions. Some marry and find lifetime happiness with their first loves. A rare few simply can’t let the past rest and hold on, despite the fact they're often holding on to an idealized memory. But most of us recover from that first love with the capacity to love even greater.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?