$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
Since 2016 is the year of the Presidential election, here are some unusual facts about United States Presidents. The President of the United States of America is one of the most prestigious and powerful positions a person can attain. Along with this role comes world-wide fame, respect, and a great deal of responsibility. Life in the White House, however, isn’t just briefings, formal dinners, and meetings with visiting heads of state.
The people who have occupied the Oval Office are still just people like everyone else. Presidential history is full of stories of their quirks, strange habits and even some scandalous activities.
You may be surprised to know that George Washington didn’t actually have wooden teeth. The story of his wooden teeth was only an American legend. In reality, the man whose portrait graces the face of the one dollar bill didn’t have wooden teeth at all. Washington was plagued with bad teeth and did have dentures. However, his dentures were made of materials such as ivory, lead, gold wire, and human or animal teeth.
John Quincy Adams, the 6th President, had a highly unusual morning ritual for a U.S. President. Each morning, Adams liked to strip down and go skinny dipping in the Potomac River, Washington, D.C.’s main waterway. One story claims that he even granted an interview with a reporter who sat on his clothes while he was enjoying his morning swim.
The 7th President of the United States, Andrew Jackson, had a parrot with a dirty mouth. Jackson must have had a good sense of humor, because apparently he taught his pet African grey parrot to curse. A story attributed to one Rev. William Menefee Norment, the man who presided over Jackson’s funeral, says the parrot was cursing so much during the funeral it had to be removed.
Before the Van Halen song immortalized a student’s crush on his teacher, the 13th President of the United States, Millard Fillmore, fell for his. This U.S. leader met his wife, Abigail, when she was his teacher. Despite the difference in their positions, the pair weren’t very far apart in age. Millard was 19 when he met Abigail who was just 21. They married seven years later.
Modern Presidents of the United States are held to very high moral standards. The thought of one of them being drunk in any public forum is almost unheard of. Yet the 17th President, Andrew Johnson, showed up drunk to his own inauguration. Johnson’s inauguration took place the day after President Lincoln was assassinated.
President Ulysses S. Grant, whose actual first name was Hiram, reportedly enjoyed life in the fast lane. He once received a ticket from a police officer who didn’t recognize that he was ticketing the 18th President of the United States. What was Grant’s crime? He received the ticket for speeding. He was caught riding his horse too fast down the streets of Washington, D.C.
If President Fillmore marrying his teacher didn’t raise an eyebrow, the fact that President Grover Cleveland, the 22nd and 24th President of the United States, married his ward might. Frances Folsom Cleveland Preston was only 11 years old when her father died and Cleveland, her father’s law partner, became her legal guardian. Just 10 years later Cleveland and Frances were married, making her the youngest First Lady in American history at the age of 21.
The 27th President, William Howard Taft, was a large man weighing over 300 pounds. As the story is told, Taft was so heavy that he actually got stuck in his bathtub and had to be removed with assistance. Whether true or false, it is true that Taft had to have his own customized bathtub made to accommodate his large size.
Warren G. Harding, the 29th President, loved to play cards, especially poker. Stories say it wasn’t uncommon for Harding to gather with friends and play cards well into the night. Harding wasn’t always lucky though. He gambled away the White House china losing the entire collection to Benjamin Harrison.
The 30th President of the United States, Calvin Coolidge, had several eccentric habits that were unexpected of the leader of the free world. Not only did he sleep an average of 10 hours each night, but he had a strange morning ritual. Coolidge reportedly ate his breakfast in bed most days while someone rubbed Vaseline on his head. If that wasn’t unusual enough, Coolidge also practiced his riding skills on a mechanical horse that he had installed in his dressing room.
Lyndon B. Johnson became the 36th President following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Directly after becoming President, Johnson had the White House phone system expanded so he could make calls from anywhere, including the bathroom where he held some of his meetings. He was also known for dragging reporters and White House aides into the bathroom with him for meetings.
The 43rd President, George W. Bush, was no doubt fulfilling a childhood fantasy when he proclaimed his hatred of broccoli in response to questions about him imposing a ban of the vegetable on Air Force One. President Bush reportedly said “I do not like broccoli, and I haven’t liked it since I was a little kid when my mother made me eat it. I am the President of the United States now, and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli!” Later, when Barack Obama became president he was asked what his favorite vegetable was. His response, “broccoli”, went viral.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?