$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
The Health Benefits Of Avocado
The “alligator fruit” known as the avocado is a favorite in many recipe dishes and the main ingredient in guacamole. It is praised for its high nutritional values, and in recent years it has become a popular fruit amoung health-conscious people.
There are some unique differences between the avocado and other fruits. While most fruits consist of carbohydrates, the avocado is known for being high in healthy fats. The avocado is an incredibly nutritious fruit that comes from the tree called Persea Americana.
The avocado is often called a superfood due to its many health benefits. It can range in shape from pear shape to a more rounded fruit. The avocado can vary in color and weight as well—from a black to green, and can weigh anywhere from eight ounces to three pounds.
The yellow-green meat inside the fruit includes many nutrients, including at least 20 different vitamins and minerals. Within a 160 calorie, 3.5 ounce avocado, there are 15 grams of good fats. Although the avocado does contain nine grams of carbs, seven of those carbs are fiber, which makes this fruit a low-carb favorite.
Also included within the avocado is 26% of the RDA of Vitamin K, 20% of the RDA of Folate, 17% of the RDA of Vitamin C, 14% RDA Potassium, 14% of the RDA of Vitamin B5, 13% RDA of Vitamin B6 and 10% of the RDA of Vitamin E. The very nutritious avocado also contains small amounts of Magnesium, Manganese, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Phosphorous, Vitamin A, B1 (Thiamine), B2 (Riboflavin) and B3 (Niacin).
Another great benefit to eating avocados is that they do not contain any cholesterol or sodium. In fact, studies have shown that avocados may actually help to maintain healthy cholesterol levels when eaten on a regular basis because they contain beta-sitosterol, a plant-based agent that has shown to balance cholesterol levels.
Avocados also contain lutein and zeaxanthin, two phytochemicals that provide antioxidant protection and prevent damage from ultraviolet light. In addition, this super fruit also contains monounsaturated fatty acids, which supports the absorption of beta-carotene, a beneficial fat-soluble antioxidant that can lower the risk of developing age-related macular degeneration.
Believe it or not, avocados can also help prevent osteoporosis. Just half of an avocado provides approximately 25% of the daily-recommended intake for vitamin K, which is just as essential to bone health as calcium and vitamin D.
Since avocados are a great source of folate, it can prevent and protect against many illnesses just by eating this super fruit. According to research, the folate found in avocados can prevent breast, colon, stomach, pancreatic and cervical cancers. Folate is also extremely important for pregnant women because it reduces the risk of miscarriages and birth defects.
Due to the high level of folate in the avocado, studies have shown that eating this fruit may also reduce the risk of depression. Research has shown that folate prevents the buildup of homocysteine, a chemical that can impair circulation and delivery of nutrients to the brain. When produced in excess, it can interfere with mood, sleep and appetite. By regularly eating avocados, it may be possible to regulate the production of serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine, keeping these brain chemicals in check.
Although the avocado has a creamy texture, it is actually high in fiber and an excellent source in improving digestion and providing a natural detoxification. This amazing fruit is also capable of significantly lowering the risk of developing coronary heart disease, stroke, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, as well as some gastrointestinal diseases. In addition, because it is a high source in fiber, studies have shown that the avocado may also contribute in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels, improving insulin levels, and even enhance weight loss for obese individuals when eaten on a regular basis.
You can find many great recipes for avocados or they can be used to spread on toast instead of butter. It is even a great ingredient to add to a chicken or egg salad sandwich rather than using mayonnaise. It’s soft, creamy texture, along with its mild taste makes the avocado a perfect first food for babies as well.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month